Thursday, January 9, 2014

Mindy, this ISN’T ABOUT YOU!


I know this cow has already been ripped raw (or is it the horse that’s beaten to death?), but after watching Wendy Williams’ solid take on Mindy Kaling’s Elle Magazine cover, I became a bit infuriated. (I’m aware this is a paradox. Whatever.) Mindy Kaling’s response to not receiving a full-body cover, allegedly because she’s not stick-thin, like the other three women featured (Zooey Deschanel, Allison Williams, and Amy Poehler) was totally aggravating to someone (ME) who has hair all over his body (including my back) and thus, doesn’t fit into the silky skinny smooth normal body spectrum determined by magazine culture. She said, “I love my @ELLEmagazine cover. It made me feel glamorous & cool. And if anyone wants to see more of my body, go on thirteen dates with me.”

Mindy, we’re not responding out of concern for you. I’m sure the experience was luxuriously pleasurable. We’re screaming because we’re insecure about OUR bodies; we can’t find any sort of representation of our physical selves in the pictures magazines present. When an image-based publication hides a body that looks like our own (or that we somehow relate to due to our own bodily variations from the norm), we infer that our bodies are not worth putting on display. Basically, we scream because we feel terrible about ourselves (as we’re socialized to hate how we look) and your cover validates these feelings. The cycle churns on.

Unapologetically,
Barry


1 comment:

  1. These articles have got absolute sense devoid of confusing the readers. buy soundcloud followers

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!