Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Ja’mie: Too Close for Comfort


Last night, I watched the first episode of Ja’mie: Private School Girl, expecting lots of guttural laughter. After all, the whole "man parodying a female archetype" premise seems very Saturday Night Live. Thus, you can imagine my surprise when all I produced were a few intermittent giggles and general sense of discomfort.

Perhaps it was a little too real, which usually is not an issue.  On SNL, the reality portrayed is endearing. Mike Meyers’ Linda Richman represents 75% of the sweetest, kindest Jewish women in Brooklyn, the ones who put a smile on your face, warmth in your heart, and food in your belly. However, Ja’mie’s reality is a character rotten to her core. Watching all thirty minutes, I was traumatically reminded of the shallow girls who littered my high school, teasing me and many others, completely insensitive to the insecurities of those around them, and most certainly out-of-touch with their own. 

As an adult, I have learned that they never truly change. Those gossipy, cruel girls dating attractive gay-bashing boyfriends transform into competitive Wall Street-marrying soccer moms who sublimate their depression with Neiman Marcus charge cards. Of course, there are exceptions, but some stereotypes exist for a reason. More often than not, they are true.

Part of my problem with Ja’mie is MYSELF! Around these types of women, I am a person I loathe. I become fake and nasty in an attempt to fit in with the girls who would never accept me in my adolescence. For the longest time, I wondered why, and most recently, I have come to understand. I mimic them, seeking their approval, my rationale being that if I gain it, they will not attack me. Thus, my feelings will not get hurt like they did so deeply years ago. This awareness provides me with a bit more power over my behavior, but I am still a work-in-progress. The Ja’mies of the world bring out the worst in me. I do not need a comical impression; I have lived the real thing, and it was not funny. It was torture.

Unapologetically,
Barry

4 comments:

  1. Looking for the Ultimate Dating Site? Join and find your perfect date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +$3,624 profit last week!

    Get 5 Star verified winning bets on NFL, NBA, MLB & NHL + Anti-Vegas Smart Money Signals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is SHOCKING news in the sports betting world.

    It's been said that every bettor needs to see this,

    Watch this or quit betting on sports...

    Sports Cash System - Sports Betting ROBOT

    ReplyDelete
  4. QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

    Get professional trading signals sent to your cell phone daily.

    Start following our signals NOW & gain up to 270% daily.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!