Tuesday, November 13, 2012

JFF - Matt & Kim, "It's Alright"


Matt & Kim's latest album, Lightning, was released last month to less than stellar reviews.  Paste Magazine even suggests "forgiving the total banality of its content" in order to enjoy "the album as a whole."  But guess what?  I DON'T CARE.  Matt & Kim are wonderful and ALWAYS WILL BE.  Yes, their second album was their best.  Yes, I recognize that their unabashed exuberance is no longer "cool."  But somewhere deep down I need a childishly upbeat POP song. And I know I'm not the only one.

It's Alright, the third song on Lightning, is an immediate mood-booster.  I'm not sure if it's going to be a single or what, but below is a characteristic happy-core lyric video.

 

Not bad, is it?  That's right, because Matt & Kim are not bad at what they do: they make high-strung, happy POP music.  On some level, you have to admire their can-do attitude.  It has its place.

Unapologetically,

Minna