Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Faithful Cover


I shall get to Ellie's album soon. I need some solace to absorb it's beauty during my weekly Sunday champagne bubble bath (cheers!). In the meantime, I've been thinking about Paloma Faith's cover of INXS' Never Tear Us Apart. It was created for the UK John Lewis Christmas advert. Every year, they have a British artist record a cover. A few years ago, the commercial featured Ellie G's take on Elton J's Your Song.

Paloma's an admirable pop chick, but her voice has always sounded a bit forced. Yes, she can sing, but that's not what I mean. In the same way that she assumes a classically campy persona, Paloma often pushes her voice into this sort of campy territory that's not so cute after a few listens. It grates. Here, for the first time, her voice sounds natural. I really enjoy hearing her sing so purely. Nellee Hooper (who has produced for Gwen Stefani, No Doubt, & Bjork) has rendered a recreation that is quite faithful to the original, which I'd never heard until this past Monday's episode of Revenge, as I'm not the '80s hair metal type. (What is hair metal?)

Anyhow, enjoy! And don't forget to notice the gorgeous single cover above. I just purchased the dress for Halloween. Paloma's coming trick-or-treating this year, kids!

Unapologetically,

Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment!