Eek! I'm excited to present our interview with none other than budding pop star Conor Maynard, winner of MTV Brand New 2012. For those of you who are not already familiar with Conor, you may check out our previous post on him HERE. His first single, Can't Say No, will be released in the UK on the 15th of April.
1)You've done some pretty great covers of everyone from Drake to Kings of Leon. Do you have a broad taste in music?
Growing up, my musical taste always varied, although a lot of my musical influences were always RnB based. Listening to people such as Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Usher, Mario... I was also really into other acts such as Good Charlotte and Green Day. I just think when I hear a really good song, I will listen to it regardless of what genre it's placed in...
2) When did you start singing?
I've always sung, ever since I was a kid. When I was really little, whenever my mum took me to the doctors, I would stand in the middle of the waiting room and sing the Barney theme song... So embarrassing as it was for my mum it seemed to pay off, lol.
3) Why did you start posting your videos to Youtube? Was it your intention to get people’s attention and seek out a record deal? Did you always want to sing professionally?
I started posting videos when I was 16 so that all my friends could listen to the covers via a link rather than sending videos out separately. It was always in the back of my mind, "imagine if..." - but I wasn't completely strung on it, as I was at school at the time. My main interest was actually acting at that point, so that's what I wanted to do until my videos became popular - which was a massive surprise!
4) It seems that a lot of artists these days want to be viewed as credible (as opposed to being viewed as manufactured), but also hope for mainstream success. Do you worry about being too pop or too indie?
I'm really lucky to be in a situation where I have a lot of creative input and am surrounded by people that understand me musically. I think part of being an artist is that your fans accept you for what you are, so I'm just doing me!
5) If you could magically learn one instrument today, what would it be?
The guitar gets the ladies every time! *Laughs*
6) You communicate with fans regularly through social media, like Twitter, but also through your Youtube videos. Do your Mayniacs inspire you? If so, how?
Being an artist is hard work, but fortunately having the amazing support from the Mayniacs consistently inspires me to keep going! Regardless of whether someone is a Mayniac from day one or from yesterday, it still means a lot.
7) Just out of curiosity, how did Ne-Yo get your phone number?
Someone contacted me through Facebook, claiming to work closely with NeYo - and next thing you know I'm on skype with NeYo just after midnight in my house whispering because my parents were sleeping!
8) "Girls girls girls / I just can't say no!" Is Conor Maynard a ladies' man?
Of course ladies love me, however they all seem to be over the age of 34 *giggles* ha, no I'm joking! The song was written as a catchy melody, and coincidentally ended up being about girls... ;)
Thank you to Conor Maynard for responding to our questions, as well as to Stuart Freeman at EMI UK for providing us with this wonderful opportunity! Make sure to check out the video for Can't Say No, posted below. Also, don't forget that Can't Say No will be released in the UK on April 15th. You may pre-order the single here - http://bit.ly/wd3RNy